Smell Be Gone
Most musty smells can be traced to one thing — mould. Caused by excess moisture and lack of ventilation, mould not only smells bad, it can leave a fuzzy stain on your clothes or shoes. Mould eventually eats away at organic materials, such as fabrics and leather, so it’s important to combat it as soon as possible. The best way to prevent mould growth is to look for climate-controlled storage facilities — a cool and dry place is best.
Follow these steps If you do encounter mould on your clothes or shoes:
- Mix a solution of water, bleach, Borax, or white vinegar in a spray bottle (the latter works best if you are worried about bleach stains on coloured items).
- Spray the affected item and scrub with a brush.
- Use hot water to wash and rinse your items
- Dry them thoroughly in the sun or in a dryer.
- Repeat the process if your clothes or shoes still smell musty.
Buzz Off Bugs
Insects such as moths, cockroaches, carpet beetles, and silverfish are notorious for eating holes in clothing. Even worse, they can lay their eggs in linens, causing an infestation.
Use these tips to control insects from chewing away at your favourite sweater or canvas shoe:
- Clean all items before placing them in self-storage containers.
- Layer clothes with cedar blocks, lavender sachets, or mothballs.
- Seal containers tightly
- Look for clean and insect-controlled storage units in Kelowna in which to place items.
Pack for the Seasons
Having easy access to your clothes and shoes is the best way to protect them from mould, dust, and insects. Pack your items according to the season and fold them to avoid stretching, Store items in transportable containers such as covered rolling garment racks or suitcases.
Place them in an accessible area inside your storage unit, on top, or in front of other containers. If storing away large amounts of clothing such as team sports jerseys and equipment, why not consider a mobile Kelowna storage container such as a MI-BOX®?
Learn more by reading How Mobile Storage Means Fewer Headaches.
Looking for reliable local storage? Space Centre Kelowna storage offers everything from climate-controlled self-storage units to portable MI-BOX® storage containers. Contact us for more information or to make an appointment.