Garage sales are a great way to purge items you no longer need. Plus you get to make a little extra cash and make room for new stuff. Now that you’ve decided it’s time to kick out the old and bring in some new, using a MI-BOX®, tote boxes, and other items mentioned in our tips below can help get you organized and ready to sell.
1. Get a MI-BOX®! These handy little storage containers can hold all your stuff (including that old couch in the garage) until you’re ready for the big day. They’re convenient and portable and can keep your stuff protected from the elements while you prepare for your garage sale. Just call your local storage unit provider, and they’ll deliver a MI-BOX® to your yard or driveway. You can even sell your items directly from the container. If it rains during your garage sale, they’ve got you covered. Literally.
2. Get a head start. It’s never too early to start gathering items you want to sell. You can even start gathering items one room at a time. If you give yourself lots of time to prepare, you’ll be able to leisurely decide what goes and what stays. No mess, and no stress!
3. Get some totes. Separate your items into totes as you go based on cost. For example, put all the old DVDs you want to sell into a tote together. Then just stick a sign on the tote advertising the price of the contents. You’ll save time (and your sanity) by not having to individually price each item.
4. Get yourself a garage sale survival kit. When the big day arrives, you’ll be so thankful you had the insight to make yourself a garage sale kit. You’ll want to include:
- A cashbox or fanny pack. Whatever. Either one will work.
- A float. Make sure you’ve got lots of change. The majority of people will pay with bills and scrounging for change in your car or couch isn’t the best way to provide change to a waiting customer.
- Painter’s tape. The tape makes excellent price tags and won’t leave a sticky residue behind.
- Permanent markers. Get creative when pricing your items and buy different coloured ones. It’ll add some pizzazz to your items.
- Brightly coloured poster board. You’ll want to advertise your garage sale. Get your kid to help you make it. It’ll probably attract more people.
5. Now get busy. Set a garage sale date. Start tucking away the items you plan to sell. Take out an ad in the local paper. Advertise your garage sale on local Facebook groups. Ask friends if they’d like to join in on your garage sale. Price your items. And lastly, have fun purging while making a little extra spending money.
If preparing for your garage sale didn’t make you fall in love with the convenience of a MI-BOX®, maybe this post will: Outside Kelowna, Mobile Storage Containers are Saving Cities.
Now that you’ve decided to look into a storage unit, contact the Kelowna storage rental experts at Space Centre Storage. We offer a wide range of storage options, from mobile storage to large commercial storage.