How to Pack Up Your Winter Gear for Less Headaches Later
Posted on June 15, 2020
It’s never too late to pack and place winter items in your storage unit.
As someone wise once said, “never put things off until tomorrow what may be done the day after tomorrow…” Does it feel as if time has slipped away these past few months? Do you still have loads of winter gear lying around? Don’t worry. You’re not alone. We at Space Centre Storage are here to help, with these tips to get your winter items packed and ready to place into your storage unit. After all, it’s never too late to clear away the old and start again fresh.
The First Steps
Follow these steps before packing your items.
- Clean everything. Wash all clothes. Remove dust and dirt from all items.
- Disinfect and deodorize. Use a mixture of two parts isopropyl alcohol and one part water in a spray bottle to clean and disinfect hard surfaces.
- Keep pests at bay. Consider placing dried lavender or cedar strips around winter clothing to repel moths. Vacuum seal items such as linens, or anything containing cotton, polyester, spandex, etc.
- Tend to recreation and sporting gear. Clean and dry all gear. Coat skate blades with a little petroleum jelly to protect the edges. Wax and sharpen the edges of your skis before placing them in storage. Strap them together.
- Repair anything that is broken. Make sure your seasonal equipment is in good working order to avoid issues once you retrieve items in the fall.
- Protect electronics. Remove batteries and keep moisture at bay by looking for climate-controlled storage facilities.
- Prepare equipment. Wipe off salt and sand. Empty fuel from all snowblowers and other gas-powered tools.
- Protect your vehicle. Wash and wax your vehicle. Top off the fuel in the gas tank to prevent condensation. Cover it if storing at an outdoor storage facility. Place winter tires inside your storage space.
Pack Like a Boss
Find the right moving boxes. Instead of cardboard, look for sturdy and transparent plastic containers so that you can see what is packed within them. Separate items into categories such as:
- Boots, outerwear
- Blankets, towels, linens
Protect all fragile items by wrapping them in:
- Bubble wrap
- Packing paper
- Packing peanuts
- Stretch wrap
Make sure to seal your boxes with packing tape and label all containers and file boxes accordingly.
Remember what’s stored by reading our storage tips on How to Manage Inventory for Public Storage.
Space Centre Storage in Kelowna has everything you need to keep your winter gear safe. We offer a huge selection of secure multi-sized and climate-controlled self-storage units with covered and drive-through access. Contact us about our current deal on 10X10-ft. storage lockers.